- Language Arts- Reading, English, Writing, Spelling
- Social Studies
Teachers utilize technology to enhance and reinforce instruction through research-based programs like Lexia, DreamBox, IXL, Read Theory, and Accelerated Reader. Be sure to check the Daviess County Public Library if you cannot find a book in the school library.
Students K-3rd grade are tested three times per year in Math and Reading using a nationally normed computerized test. MAP testing gives immediate results that identify instructional areas that need intervention or acceleration. Teachers use this data to design lessons and instruction.
21st Century Learning Skills make technology an essential element of learning for all students. The K-3 Campus has 2 Google Chrome Labs with 55 computers. Technology is utilized for enrichment, reinforcement, and remediation, as well as for productivity and creativity. The K-3 Campus has a 1:2 ratio of iPads in the Classroom-1 iPad for every 2 students. iPads are used for practicing skills and for student assessment and productivity. Along with over 150 educational Apps on iPads, the following programs are also used in the Lab setting as well as in the classroom:
- DreamBox Computerized Math Program – This program teaches students to become proficient, mathematical thinkers using virtual manipulatives. DreamBox has intelligent adaptive learning technology to allow each child to work at his/her level.
- Lexia Learning Program – Students receive multi-sensory practice in phonemic awareness, phonics, word recognition and fluency by working with the Lexia Software. Students work in the program 3 times per week in the Media Center and on iPads in the classroom.
- Accelerated Reader Program – Students set goals and read books on their level. AR is designed to be a motivational program that encourages students to read recreationally. Parents can follow their child’s progress by setting up an AR parent account online.
- IXL – Students get personalized practice on specific skills in math and language arts. These skills are directly tied to the curriculum and correlate to the content being taught in the classroom. Students can also access the IXL program from a computer at home.
- SMART Technology– Every classroom has a Smart TV and Apple TV used to enhance instruction.