The big day is just a few days away! We will excitedly wake up, put on our uniforms and maybe a new pair of shoes and return to school in person – a day that I thought would happen – but seems like it has taken forever to get here.
As we get dressed and prepare to head out the door, please don’t forget the latest in fashion, and that is your mask.
Every student will be required to wear a mask at each site, every day, all day (with periodic mask breaks) for the foreseeable future.
We have been talking a lot the last few days about how this is going to take all of us to successfully RETURN to school and to STAY in school. And it all starts with masks.
The information below is provided to help you and your family make the best choices in getting a mask for your child(ren) –
Masks must be worn to cover the mouth AND the nose.When mask breaks are provided, a student may or may not remove their mask. It will be up to the individual child if they want to lower their mask for the extent of the break.
Based on the latest data, wearing Gaiter style neck fleece or bandanas as masks will not be allowed. Students who have this type of mask will be provide with an alternative type of mask.
The top 5 rated types of masks according to a Duke University study are:
1. Fitted N95, no valve
2. 3-layer surgical mask
3. Cotton-polypropylene-cotton mask
4. 2-layer polypropylene apron mask
5. 2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
3. OCS is not requiring a uniform mask. We are allowing students to have a little fun with their masks but keeping in mind there are still guidelines that must be followed. We are open to students creative designs and creations provided they do not promote or wear any bias related apparel, sign or symbol which reasonably appears to offend, victimize or intimidate another based on race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, or disability and/or which disrupts or interferes with the educational setting and/or process. This act includes the wearing of gang clothing or paraphernalia and the use of gang signs and signals. Students also cannot promote any political agenda or make any political statement via their apparel, signs or symbols.
4. Students will be given a mask lanyard to help them keep up with their mask. These will be distributed at the beginning of the school year. Please remind your child to return with it everyday as a part of their uniform as we have only ordered one per student.
Enjoy your weekend – we are really excited about welcoming your child(ren) back to school on Wednesday!
-Keith Osborne ‘81
Chief Administrative Officer Owensboro Catholic Schools